Last night in the United We Stand Lecture Series, Monti Washington preformed his talk “From the Streets to the Stage”. Wow! It was a fantastic speech! Here are some key points that we got out of the talk:
- We are greater than out story. Our past story does not have to make who you are today! Be greater than the hardships of your life.
- I am the shit because… When Monti was growing up, he heard from one of his foster parents that he was shit and stupid. Now, he motivates himself and others by saying: “I am the shit because…”. What makes you special and who you are?
- Not being you is Identity Theft. Why be someone else when you can be you? If you aren’t you, than who’s identity are you taking.
- FLY: First Love Yourself. Be You, Be Tru. You can not give what you don’t have. If you don’t love yourself, you can’t give love to others.
- Take action toward your dream. We can not have what we can not see. So Dream wide awake. Set specific goals. What’s your goal for the end of this semester? for when you graduate? for 5 years after graduation? Make them specific as possible and strive for your dream!
- You are who you surround yourself with. You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. Are you ok with that? If not, do something about it! If you take on someone’s opinion be prepared to take on someone’s life style. Look out for the haters, fakers, and takers. You don’t need a certain number of friends but you need friends you are certain about.
I hope you enjoyed reading this. He was a fantastic speaker and wrote a book!
~Nicole and Joe